ohbooksanity

Oh Book Sanity

My name is Kate, I am an 18 year old college student majoring in English, I live in the Philippines. I am obsessed with reading books and with music; I play guitar and sing.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

Publication: September 30th 2008 by HarperCollins

Goodreads Summary:

After the grisly murder of his entire family, a toddler wanders into a graveyard where the ghosts and other supernatural residents agree to raise him as one of their own.

Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a sprawling graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts, with a solitary guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor of the dead. There are dangers and adventures in the graveyard for a boy. But if Bod leaves the graveyard, then he will come under attack from the man Jack—who has already killed Bod's family.

REVIEW:

The book was so beautiful and captivating. I would've been able to finish it within one sitting but couldn't because of school work. Every time I put it down to work on something else, my heart sank.

One might think that the title sounds scary, but no it is the total opposite. The book took place in a graveyard but the content was filled with innocence and it was very heartwarming in general.

I loved the graphics added in the book which made it easier to picture some situations and locations.

Gaiman’s words were very refreshing and striking which made me feel like I was along with Nobody (the main character)’s adventure all the time, I was able to experience these creatures such as ghouls and other supernatural ones. I also loved the different ghost characters, especially Silas, they were so nice and made the idea of ghosts and graveyards less scary.

Definitely a book worth recommending to other people no matter which age bracket they are in.