ohbooksanity

Oh Book Sanity

My name is Kate, I am an 18 year old college student majoring in English, I live in the Philippines. I am obsessed with reading books and with music; I play guitar and sing.

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

The Scorch Trials - James Dashner

Publication: October 12th 2010 by Delacorte Press

Goodreads Summary:

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end.

Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch.

There are no rules. There is no help. You either make it or you die.

The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Friendships will be tested. Loyalties will be broken. All bets are off.

There are others now. Their survival depends on the Gladers’ destruction—and they’re determined to survive

REVIEW:

It was structured differently than the first book. I have mixed feelings for this one. I loved it but I have a few problems with it here and there.

There were a few characters introduced which at first I hated but began to love. There were also old ones who had a new personality and made them more likable. Minho is definitely my favorite character, he had a bigger role in this one I loved Dashner for that. Thomas on the other hand seemed to be bland and emotional. He was constantly puking, passing out, or moping. He was very different from the first book wherein although he was serious, he seemed to be smart and interesting. I love a main character with wit, but I felt like Dashner intended for this character to be that way.

I loved the thrill and the mystery of the entire book, but you know what I do not love? Unsolved mysteries. I feel like it was all for nothing which was very frustrating. And the constant betrayal here and there, I do not even know how to feel about them. It made me acquire trust issues, tbh.
This book was a bizarre mind trip! I was hoping for things to clear up even a bit by the end but it became more confusing. If you thought the first book was confusing, think again. What I dislike about this one is the constant plot-twist. There would be a plot-twist, but then another plot-twist would be piled to the unsolved first one, and then file another one. And by the end, nothing was solved.

Another one is if you have noticed, Thomas kept on passing out. I felt like there was more Thomas passing out as chapter enders than cliffhangers and that was what I loved most about the first book, cliffhangers.

But still, it was quite good and interesting, just quite frustrating as well. I am praying for the third book to be straightforward and finally give us answers, which I think it would judging by the fact that it is the final installment. I just hope it would not disappoint me and not make me want to drill a hole in my brain.