ohbooksanity

Oh Book Sanity

My name is Kate, I am an 18 year old college student majoring in English, I live in the Philippines. I am obsessed with reading books and with music; I play guitar and sing.

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

The Maze Runner - James Dashner

Publication: October 6th 2009 by Delacorte Press

Goodreads Summary:

If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.

Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.

Everything is going to change.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

Remember. Survive. Run.

REVIEW:

To be honest, I did not plan on buying this book at all because I’ve heard more negative reviews than positive ones. Those negative comments were instilled in my mind and made me want to not read the book because I might be wasting my time. But then I saw the movie trailer, and I was like “damn I need to read the trilogy”. I decided to set my judgments aside and see for myself.

It was such a good read. It had a great and original concept, the plot twist and the characters were very intriguing, and the events were filled with great suspense. I was honestly scared for them; my heart was pounding every few minutes. My brother even looked at me and genuinely asked if I was okay. I loved the fact that the chapters were kind of short and gave me cliffhangers in the end that made me gasp and turn the page.

I wouldn't say that the book was perfect because it is not (is there even a perfect book?). The writing was okay, not perfect I must say. A few repetitions here, a little over the place there. But I am more critical with plot-building than the writing although that is important as well, but who cares as long as I’m enjoying myself. I almost gave up on the first 5 chapters because it was so confusing and all over the place. I did not like the made up slang here, it actually annoyed me. I couldn't imagine what a Griever actually look like no matter how many time it was explained in the book, I just could not.

All in all, it was such a thrilling read and I cannot wait to put my hands on the second book. I also hate the fact that just because it’s dystopian people immediately compares this to The Hunger Games just like how they compare any vampire-themed book to Twilight.